Let’s face it, there are things in everyday life that bear a burden on our physical and mental health. Whether it be personal, professional or financial burdens, we all experience stress in some way, shape or form. Below is a list of seven simple and inexpensive remedies to alleviate stress:
- Exercise – A simple walk or extensive work out will trigger endorphins in your body. To quote Elle Woods in Legally Blonde: “Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy”.
- Journal – Stop and take a quick second to jot down things you’re thankful for. As you’re reminiscing of people, places, pets, etc. that bring you joy, you’ll redirect your negative thoughts into positive thoughts. I’m thankful for my family. The thought of my child instantly brings a smile to my face.
- Cuddle with your pet – The method describes here needs no explanation. Who doesn’t love a cute dog or cat? If you do not have a pet; then take someone else’s. Actually, do not do that! Taking someone’s pet would be stealing and that’s against the law. Breaking the law would cause you stress. Visit an animal rescue to get your fix. 😊
- Take a hot bath – Envision soaking in warm water with a tall glass of fine wine. Maybe get a little adventurous and add some bubbles! For those times you cannot leave your house, this is a great home remedy.
- Go for a drive – Get in your car, roll the windows down, and turn the radio up. Let the wind blow your hair like a supermodel. Sing that song like you are Mariah Carey. Show off your moves like Jagger. Just do not be that person in the left lane holding up traffic while you are hosting your epic car concert.
- Take a nap – Adequate sleep is crucial to fuel your mind and body. The feeling of being tired tends to cause people to think less rationally. Get in a cat nap or some power zzz’s to refuel that body of yours!
- Eat a healthy snack – Proper nutrition is just as critical to fueling your mind and body as sleep is. Start by making simple changes to your diet such as reducing caffeine or sugar intake. Although, a small cupcake can also make you happy. Hey, it’s all about moderation! After all, stress spelled backwards is dessert. Coincidence? I think not.
Take a deep breath and remember that you can do anything, but not everything!